Holiday Happiness


Last year, my family had a strange holiday season. We all got the flu. Our oven broke on Thanksgiving. We didn’t go Christmas shopping until a few days before the holiday, and then spent late nights trying to pull everything together at the last minute. By January 1, my husband and I were physically and emotionally exhausted, and almost grateful the whole thing was behind us.

As a parent, it was difficult to accept that the time of year that was supposed to be so magical was not, in fact, all that special for our family. My husband and I promised each other that next year would be better. 

Then, the year flew by. As November rolled in, memories of last year’s Griswold-esque holidays started to flash through my mind. I am now a woman determined to give my kids the best season yet. In a spurt of activity fueled by a refusal to repeat last year’s mistakes, my husband and I managed to plan for Thanksgiving, complete all the Christmas shopping, and schedule numerous family events by mid-month. We made a list of all the fun activities we can attend in the next six weeks, and just like Santa himself, I’ll be keeping it close and checking it often. I have to admit, I’m pretty excited. I have a feeling all our hard work will pay off, and that this will be a fantastic holiday season.

But just to be on the safe side, I think we’ll cook the turkey the day before Thanksgiving this year…

No comments:

Post a Comment