Play it again Sam!



My mind is always going in 1,000 places at once. (“Are the kids hungry?” “Whose diaper needs to be changed?” “When am I going to have time to work?” “How can this house be SO messy again?!”) So, I’ll openly admit that the sometimes (obnoxiously) loud noise my boys can make grates my nerves ever so slightly.

It was just such an afternoon when I began to hear my son beating on my husband’s drum kit. I was in the midst of feeding two babies, talking to someone on the phone about a bill, and trying to unload the dishwasher; I was on overload. And all I could hear was BOOM, BOOM, BA-BOOM, BOOM, CRASH!!

So, long story short, the drums got packed up that night.

The next day, I turned on the TV while folding the laundry (a guilty pleasure I allow myself in order to view the laundry as something other than the bane of my existence) and saw a commercial about a little boy playing drums. He reminded me so much of my son that I was transfixed. As I watched, I saw that the spot was to advertise a special about Justin Bieber (and no, I didn’t know who he was before that), and how he had taught himself to play and had subsequently become something of a phenom.

I stopped folding and sat down. What had I done? Here was my little boy, and he loved those drums. Yes, they were loud. But I had taken something away that might just be a natural born talent. I mean, he might turn out to be an accountant, I don’t know. But I’m not going to be the one who decided it for him because I couldn’t handle some noise.

The drums are coming back out. And in the meantime, I think I’ll look into the electronic sets - with volume controls.

No comments:

Post a Comment