A Novel Idea


My father was one of the smartest men I’ve ever known. Oddly, he very rarely read. Being an avid reader myself, I never fully understood his aversion to the activity. So one day, I asked him.
“Once you have kids, you just don’t have the time,” he responded with a shrug.
I couldn’t wrap my literature-addicted mind around his statement. What would life be like without Charlotte Bronte, Louisa May Alcott and Nathaniel Hawthorne?
Twenty-five years later, I found out.
Honestly, I don’t even know how it happened. I got married, had kids, and the next thing I knew, I couldn’t even stay awake long enough to get through an Us Weekly. This tidbit came to my attention on a recent library outing with my kids. I looked up from the Curious George book I was reading to my son, and suddenly had a renewed awareness of the stacks of big-people books. On impulse, I grabbed a novel with a captivating cover, and before I knew it, the book was in a pile with Max & Ruby DVDs and a collection of Clifford stories.
That night, excited about reuniting with a beloved pastime, I settled happily into bed to begin my new book.  As I perused the first few pages, I smiled contentedly.
Forty-five minutes later, I woke up with my glasses under my chin and the book lying haphazardly next to me. I picked it up and placed it fondly on the nightstand. I realized this reading gig might be a lengthier process than it used to be. But unwilling to part with it again, I decided I would take it one sleepy night at a time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment